Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth of July!

This is what I made the kids for breakfast this morning. It's an English muffin, cream cheese, and the fruit arranged to form an American flag. We're all dressed in red, white, and blue. This year we focused on American history, so I feel like this entire year we've been gearing up for the Fourth. But did I do any cool crafts with them? No. Do I have any thing in my house that would show we're celebrating the Fourth? No. It's all in the storage bin downstairs. Sigh. I hate it when I let a holiday pass me by without much pomp and ceremony. It seems to be happening a lot these days. So this morning I was going to regain lost land. I was going to make that cool breakfast, read a picture book from the library on the subject of Independence, and maybe later let them do a collage of the American flag.  
Well, I served breakfast. The kids were excited. I sat down and started to read. By the second page everyone had finished their toast and was asking for more. Simon ate off all the strawberries and used the toast as a hat, which almost earned him a standing ovation from his siblings. So that was that. I finally closed the book. Defeated. I said, "Fine! If you don't want to learn honor the day by listening to this nice picture book then you're excused from breakfast and can go play in the playroom." In my head I finished with a so-there! They all ran off screaming about playing LEGOs.
Darn it.

But I am eternally grateful for this day. I live in the great country on the face of the Earth. Happy Independence Day!
And I late apologized to the kids for my bad attitude. I guess they aren't all History buffs like I claim to be and that's okay.

No comments: