Saturday, March 2, 2013

Nathan's Birthday Dinner

Here at the Saavedra family we take birthdays to a new level of informality. Brad and I give the birthday child a choice between a small (I mean small) party with friends or a dinner out with the family and a trip to the toy store. Nathan's first choice for dinner was McDonald's. After I cringed and thought, "Oh my gosh, that's disgusting!" I worked within his desire for french fries and burgers. It was either In-N-Out or Chick-fil-a. Well, Chick-fil-a has a play structure, so that's where we went. And above is the my grinning six year old... and a little hand grabbing a french fry.

I'm not sure I be self-righteous about my health choice to reject McDonald's and then feed my (almost) two year old french fries. Then again I don't think I can be self-righteous about anything. There you go. I'm no longer self-righteous thanks to that nice reminder. Have a french fry, Simon!

The girls had their own little table. See the man sitting next to Alynna? On his way out he surprised us with three ice cream sundaes in honor of Nathan's birthday. I am so thankful for the many generous people who bless us with their kindness and generosity.

Simon would leave the table sometimes to make the long journey up and into this little car. Then he would do his happy dance and look out the window to see who was looking at him in his triumph.

Thank you for the Legos, Grannie and Papi! And at Toys R Us? Yep, two more sets of Legos. I'm wondering if there's a time one has enough Legos. I think Brad would only scoff at my suggestion, so I'll keep it to myself and wear shoes when I enter the playroom, which is always littered with Legos.

Here's part of that delicious surprise of ice cream.

Happy birthday, Six Year Old! You teach me to be a better listener (as you can talk for a good fifteen minutes straight). You encourage me to pray on a deeper level for those in need. Thank you for your many, many hugs through out the day and I'm sorry for the many times I've accidentally elbowed you in the head when I didn't realize you were standing behind me waiting for another hug. You forgive quickly, give quickly, and love freely. You are wonderfully made by your Father in Heaven.

No comments: