Friday, March 29, 2013

The Spirit of America



Now that Simon is older and not quite so active I've decided to try field trips again. Amy's Farm was first and this week we went to the air field near by that houses the Good Year blimp. It was a fascinating and rare opportunity.
Here's what I leaned:
There are three blimps in commission in the United States.
Alynna was thirsty and wanted some water.(The trip was an hour long, so I didn't bring any water or snacks.)
The blimp in Carson, California is called "The Spirit of America".
Simon wanted a snack.
"The Spirit of America" honors lives lost in 9/11.
Alynna was still thirsty,
A member of the ground crew is with the blimp 24/7.
All four of my children were thirsty and hungry, basically right after breakfast, and this rookie mom brought nothing.

For every tidbit of information I learned about the blimp I learned that a child of mine was thirsty or hungry. I finally bummed some graham crackers of a friend of mine with young kids, which tied them over until I got to the store for a quick snack. I warned them I would not be buying water. We got home not much later, and Kaeley begs for the keys so she can run upstairs. When I inquired as to why she dramatically said it was because she was so thirsty! I said she could wait. It would take me close to two minutes to get upstairs. After slumping her shoulders she stomps off. She stands in the open, opens her mouth wide, and says, "Oh, I wish there was more vapor in the air!"

No comments: