Saturday, October 5, 2013

Introducing the Kids to Musicals

One of my school goals this year was to introduce a new musical every week to the children. I saw that as an educational goal since some of the more popular musicals can be found referenced in pop culture, history is acted out in each story, and, of course, there is the simple fact that it's teaching arts and music.
The first musical we watched was "Camelot", the story of King Arthur. In my mind it was the perfect beginning, because we are currently studying medieval times at the time. I patted myself on the back for making the "perfect" unit study. I was in the musical when I was a young teen, so it had to innocent, right? Obviously I wasn't paying much attention to anything besides the "Lusty Month of May", because I don't remember it being as dark as it is.
With King Arthur comes Guinevere and with Guinevere comes... Sir Lancelot.
As an almost-overly practical woman who doesn't believe in "love at first sight" I scoffed at the idea that Guinevere would fall head over heels for Lancelot and suddenly, wouldn't you know it, he admits to having loved her all the time she had insulted him and set him up for failure. How convenient.
Alynna was quite bored by the story.
Nathan hung in as best as possible, because he liked the knights and occasional fighting.
Kaeley, our old-soul, followed until the infidelity began, at which point she was lost. Now, I mention the "old-soul", because she's one that you always think knows everything. She's a very mature nine-year old. I am often having to remind myself that she is still a child growing up in a pretty conservative home, so when she scowls and asks, "Why are the knights getting banished?" And I answer, "Because they are accusing the two of having an affair," the answer is less than satisfactory. "What's an affair?" she asks. I rewind a little bit and say, "Honey, they're involved in adultery." "What's adultery?" Okay. Well, once that was all answered she was a bit confused as to why King Arthur kept punishing the innocent. After having just explained infidelity, I wasn't prepared to explain the concept of denial.
As it turns out we could have lived a very happy life without "Camelot".
The next week Brad voted for "West Side Story", which his sister watched non-stop as a teen. All he remembered was the snapping. Having only watched it once myself I only remembered a giddy song sung in a bridal shop about how someone felt pretty.
Neither of us remember that one of the main characters gets killed at the end. When Maria sings over her now dead love Kaeley was quite confused. This is, after all, not how most Disney movies end. The movie ends and Nathan shouts out, "Is there a number two?!?" Um, no, son, sometimes that's just how life goes, so... um... don't get involved in a gang!
Now I know many people will want to shout out their recommendation of musicals. Don't worry. I got this. I just needed to jog my memory.
This past week we watched "Sound of Music". Everyone very much enjoyed it. However, I was so overcome with emotion at the mention of Austria becoming a country he couldn't recognize anymore I almost snorted as I tried to hide my streaming tears from my children.
Musicals waiting in the que include "Music Man", "Singing in the Rain", and "Fiddler on the Roof". I will have to brace myself and try not to snort as we watch the Jews being forced out of their home.
Musicals. I have very fond memories of Andrew Lloyd Webber and "Cats" and not understanding the reference to shotgun-wedding in "Seven Brides and Seven Brothers" and now, as an adult, seeing all these musicals in a whole new light. I guess the lessons of pop-culture, art, music, etc. can now include life lessons like don't join a gang, don't steal women and force them to be your bride, and con men.

No comments: