Monday, June 16, 2014

An Excerpt About Our First Date

Today Brad and I celebrate our thirteenth anniversary and in honor of such an event I wanted to share a tiny excerpt about our first date:

I wore my best outfit - clunky brown sandals, baggy khakis, and a little surfer shirt (although I didn't surf and didn't visit the beach unless I had to). As I climbed out of my car the library books on the passenger seat caught my eye. They were books on how to write an autobiography. I have never been much a reader, so by "reading" I mean I was carrying them around hoping the titles themselves would inspire me enough to write about my childhood spent in Germany as an only child. It was going to be great! People would cry and it would be made into a movie where I would make a cameo and the world would finally meet the imaginary friends that had gotten me through those early years.
I grabbed the books on the way out for two reasons. At least this way I would have something to do if he stood me up and would learn how to turn past boyfriends into the antagonist of your whole story and then wouldn't he be sorry! However, if he did show up I would have these books with me thus making me look smart and intriguing.
Brad did show up that night. And I'll tell you right now, do not bring books on your first date, because you will never hear the end of it! It's been more than twelve years since that night and Brad still teases me! In my next life I'll date a librarian who will have a sincere appreciation for my love of carrying around books with fancy titles. He won't have to know that I don't read them.

And now... thirteen years later I still try to impress him. But one day I will have an autobiography written... in Word doc and then you'll be sorry!

No comments: