Monday, July 27, 2015

The "Free" Event

On Saturday, a hot day here in Southern California, there was supposed to be a free event called "Fairy Tales in the Park" at our local park. In an effort to benefit from all things "free" this summer and to spend quality time with just one of the children, Alynna and I packed up for a brisk walk to the park.
Okay, so maybe it wasn't quality time. She has recently learned how to ride a bike, so our conversations were that of her riding on ahead by many feet and yelling ahead of her, of which I heard, "W---- is th--- ---k, Mommy!" Then I would yell that I couldn't hear her and she would yell back, "Y--, M---y. Nev-----."

I hate wearing sunscreen, so I bought a straw hat. I mean this thing is so big it keeps nearly my entire body out of the sun! The thing is so efficient (aka. large) that I often had a flap get caught in the wind and it would act as a shield to my entire face. I could still see through the pattern, but I looked a wee bit silly.

There. That's better.

We never did find that free event we were looking for, but I figured all was not lost as the weekly Farmers Market was open. We would buy a large cup of strawberry lemonade to share and then feast on the samples and the sounds and smells.

The lemonade was $3.00 and delicious - well worth it.

Then we sampled the seasoned almonds, which were heavenly. We sampled so many flavors that I toyed around with buying a couple of bags so I didn't feel like I was stealing. It was at the point that Alynna put a sample scoop into her mouth that I decided we should pay the woman for her time and we bought two bags for $10.00.

Then we passed a new-to-us booth of macaroons the color of the rainbow. They had more flavors than Baskin-Robbins. It all looked so pretty and enticing that I spent another $3.00 on two cookies.

I sure did enjoy time with the Sissy-Girl at the "free" Farmers Market.

No comments: