Sunday, April 10, 2016

New York, Day 4


The rains came Friday night and stayed through Saturday. I am so thankful for my friend, Jen, who lent me the bright, warm rain jacket you see me wearing.


Here I was feeling a tad bit goofy and flirty, so I decided to show my love to Brad by sticking a camera in his face while he was looking at a map.





Yep, still trying to figure out the selfie stick. I'm telling you, Androids were not meant to be hassled with such vanity.


There we go.


Oh my goodness, it was cold. I think it was in the low 30's, which is cold! Maybe I've lived in Southern California for too long.


The new Freedom Tower.


I was enamored by the little historic buildings by the port.


There was something about the concrete jungle in Downtown which made me excited. Maybe it was the powerful stance of buildings tall enough to block out the sun.


I don't get modern art. If ever you want some statement statue outside your building, please pay me and my kids millions to do this "art". I'm sure we could come up with something.



The Freedom Tower up close.


Rows of apartment buildings.


Somehow me living in an apartment building in Torrance isn't very cool, but I think if I lived in an apartment building in New York City I would be super cool.


The very impressive post office.


The Chrysler Building. 


The Empire State Building.




We were thoroughly overwhelmed by the seeming acreage of Eatly.


This is half of my lunch. It's basically a salad stacked between two pieces of bread. It was enormous and I felt so very virtuous eating it!


The Flat Iron. Should you need a dozen more pictures of this one building, ask Brad. He's got them.




At my first sighting of the Statue of Liberty I cried. I couldn't believe I was really seeing the picture of freedom that America is so well known for and I was so thankful for the experience. 







I had no idea New York City had so much history. I wasn't expecting to see...



Alexander Hamilton's grave...


 the original foundation of the fort that protected the budding city...


or the spot George Washington was signed into presidency.


And still the history is entombed within the towering walls of the present.



I considered myself to have fully lived the New York experience when we shared the subway with a man carrying joint in one hand and reading Galactic Pot Healer in the other.



That night we took a very windy bus ride through to Brooklyn.






This not-so-virtuous plate of food was our super late, super expensive, dinner at the hotel lobby. Another twelve hours out on the town.

No comments: