Sunday, April 10, 2016

New York, Day 5

Meanwhile, back in California the children were being serve Lucky Charms and taken to church festivals, because we have the best kind of friends.

 


Later that day they transitioned to the family who loves so well they have been deemed Mr. and Mrs. Love by Alynna. Not only are the Loves known for how loving they are, but they are also known for their citrus trees and within half an hour of the kids taking up residence Mr. Love was busy making orange juice.



While the sun was smiling in Los Angeles, the winds were howling in New York City. We woke up to 33*, which felt like 23* thanks to wind so strong one stood at an acute angle to combat the forces.


Doesn't it look like I could be in the arctic?


This was taken by accident on board our boat to the Statue of Liberty. Based on the odd modern art statues aforementioned I think I have a pretty good chance of making a name for myself.


And there she was. I didn't cry this time around, but it might that my tear ducts were frozen shut.


As a misplaced American growing up in Germany I learned about certain American monuments, the Alamo and Mount Rushmore and, of course, the Statue of Liberty. I always thought that if I could just see those symbols of freedom and greatness I, this American who spent fourteen years in Europe, would have arrived. All these years later, I have a husband of fifteen years who found us worth a destination vacation and took me to that iconic woman I always learned about as a child. I am beyond grateful.
By the way, I have yet to see Mount Rushmore. I'll probably be a hot mess when I finally see those mountain men.


For lunch we sat in a historic row of small buildings in downtown. This is Brad sitting in a hallway.


I was so proud of my husband who ordered gravlax... on purpose! Now if you know my husband you will understand what a big deal this is. I texted Kaeley in my amazement. She said mushrooms were the next step. I told her he had mushrooms a few weeks ago and she nearly fell over in astonishment. It's true. People really can change. Next week? Cooked spinach.


Brad took us to an off Broadway show that we both enjoyed.


Then we walked three miles back to the hotel just to see the sights.


One the way to the hotel we both took a picture of the Empire State Building. Brad said it was a contest and I clearly won.


The Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station.


Finally in bed with yet another super late, super expensive dinner. And what does a couple married fifteen years do on a vacation without kids? They eat dinner in bed and binge-watch House MD.















No comments: