Monday, April 28, 2014

The Conference

There is nothing more wonderful than coming home to a messy house with four children and a loving husband after being chewed up and spit out at a writers conference. Safe, familiar, unchanging, and no publicist needed. -Saturday night's Facebook post

I love writing. I hate writing, but I process through writing, and so I love writing. My life, extraordinarily normal, becomes miraculously beautiful when I write. I learn through writing as God brings to light what was before dim or hiding in the dark. I can be silly through writing.

It is something I've fought... this title of "writer". But after understanding how I process and release through writing and that not everyone is "lightened" after writing I have finally taken on the title of "writer". I write for our church's women's ministry. I write for a moms support group that I attend. I write for the family. I write for myself.

Next step... I really do believe that God led me to write my story. And it's not because I believe myself more important or more interesting than anyone else. I believe it's a story that is important, because it's a struggle for many of us in the Church this following the Gospel of Works rather the Gospel of Grace. That's my story.

Shortly after I had finally accepted my wiring as writer I heard of the Orange County Christian Writers Conference. It was affordable, in the area, and I now possessed the "writer" label, so I went.

I counted down the days until this conference. Driving down to Orange County I blasted the radio and sang and played the steering wheel like a drum and suddenly I was at the conference location... and I didn't want to go in. I have jumped out a plane (twice). I have little problem with strangers, speaking in front of crowds, putting myself out on a limb in the crazy chance I might succeed. And I didn't want to go in.

It was confirmed. I don't want to pursue a platform. I want to pursue God's will in this gifting and I want to pursue improvement, but platform and investment and a website and a publicist and an agent? I'm just not sure.

I heard in a seminar this weekend that being a mediocre writer was easy. It's safe. Because, as Cecil Murphy explained, being a writer means being willing to walk down the street naked meaning to write anything worth reading you must write from a place of transparency.

I do. I strive for transparency in my writing and my living, but transparency for the world to see and for publishers to see and reply, "This lady thinks she's a writer? This stuff is garbage!" To invest in a platform when I find myself already full by investing in family and a home? How?

The weekend was a rough one. Having the door to the real world opened to someone as naive as myself was not a pleasant experience. I had no business card, no website, no book. I had only the desire to write and one idea. A calling.

By Saturday mid-morning I was good. I met a lovely woman in the same boat as my newbie self. I took the lessons as they came and found my nuggets in each. But as the weekend continued my heart took a beating. I can't quite explain it, but I was done by 2:00pm.

I went to a class by an agent entitled "20 Reasons You're Not Getting Published". He gave tips on, as he put it, getting your ducks in a row. And had I not been on the verge of tears, I would have asked him, "What do you do when you think you're out in the cow pasture? What is this you speak of ducks?"

Memoirs? He said they're like elbows - everyone has them. They are a hard sell.
He ended the class, I smiled my thanks, and I walked briskly to the bathroom where I sobbed in silence.

When I thought I was presentable enough I walked downstairs to have my assigned consultation with one of the authors/speakers of the conference. I was looking forward to showing her what I had written and asking what she thought and how I could improve.

BJ Taylor sat down in front of me smiling and welcoming. After a few short lines of small talk she paused and gave me the look that implied it was now my turn. How could she help me?

And that's when I burst out crying. I was in a large room with professionals and writers pursuing different avenues of adventures and I was sobbing.

She encouraged me and finally said I should pray about what the next step was. I wiped mascara off my cheek, looked into her experienced face, and answered, "I think the next step is to go home."

And I left early.

I drove out of the parking lot yelling, "Why did You send me there, God? That was horrible!"


I'm better now. I have decided, after some serious consideration, not to take a summer break from writing. I have decided to continue writing down my story, which is God's universal story for us sorry human beings. I have decided to explain my heartbreak over this weekend.

I learned this weekend that when God gives me a taste of what's ahead I often barrel down into the future like a bull in a china shop. That persistence I tell everyone I have can often be plain stubbornness. That excitement for experiencing life can often air on the side of rushing forward so fast I can't hear God whispering, "Wait. Now's not the time."

Yes, I learned a lot about myself this weekend. How that plays into my writing I'm not quite sure yet. How it plays into my daily living as I love my husband and parent my children and care for friends and live the ins-and-outs of normal life I have a slight hint.

And that's why I wrote what I did on Saturday night. I will continue, as Cecil Murphy said, to take that risk by walking down Main Street without a stitch of clothes on. 

3 comments:

Theresa Doss said...

Whew!! Glad you were able to plow through the piles and come down to your basic 'today'. Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow, everyday has it's own set of issues. (My paraphrase). I think often we are looking ahead so we can take care of how we arrive, prepared, ducks in a row, you know -in control. And so I also said I wasn't doing this to make money, it would be nice to think I could possibly encourage other women but were I want to be is with Jesus. People in rehab say it best "Day at a time" and they know sometimes that means this next 30 seconds. You go girl!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouragement, Theresa. :) I think you and I will have a good time getting to know each other better and reading each other's writings. Thank you for the reminder.

Sarah said...

And this is why I will never be a writer. I'm way too scared to go walking around naked!!
For some reason, your story reminds me of 3 guys in a fiery furnace: "Our God can save us, but even if He doesn't we will never bow down." #bravery